Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Breaking News: There Are More Fonts Than Comic Sans

If there's anything I've learned from my teaching experience, it's that there is a pervasive misunderstanding that if you teach elementary school you are required to use Comic Sans for all your documents.

After years of thorough research, I've concluded that kids can read documents written in Times New Roman just as easily as those written in Comic Sans.

But I get it. Times New Roman is boring. And lots of fonts just don't seem "cute" or "fun" enough to give to your students. However, I do think we can expand a little. Just a little. Not everything has to be in Comic Sans. Not all of it. Please. 


I can't figure out where this original image actually came from.
Is this really what we want? It's a slippery slope, my friends.



So as it turns out there are tons of other "cute" free fonts out there. In fact, if you go to Font Squirrel, there is a category specifically labeled as cute. These fonts are all free, even for commercial use (if you plan on selling worksheets you've made).

Here are some examples of a few that I like.



Dafont is also a good website for free fonts, although most of these are just for personal use. And if you still don't find one you like, you can also make a font of your own handwriting for free, pretty quickly and easily. But that's for another post.





6 comments:

  1. What about my favorite: Papyrus (hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papyrus is certainly abused, but teachers seem to have a bigger problem with comic-sansing everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why can't I make an apostrophe in my name? Huh? HUH?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Architect's Daughter seems especially apt for you. I love the graphic, by the way. NASA doesn't seem safe in Comic Sans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Comic Sans made everything instantly funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really a great fan of modern fonts, especially if they look attractive.I fancied the types you've introduced very much! Comic sans is the best!

    ReplyDelete